Boneless Chicken Breast Recipes
Here we combine raisins, cinnamon, honey and almonds with orange juice, zest, wine and broth to make a rich, savory pan sauce for chicken. There's plenty of the gorgeous sauce, so be sure to serve whole-wheat egg noodles, couscous or rice on the side.
- 2 navel oranges
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, (about 1 1/4 pounds), trimmed and tenders removed
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 cup white wine
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 3-inch cinnamon stick
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds, toasted (see Tip)
- Zest and juice one orange. Remove the skin and white pith from the other orange, then halve and slice. Reserve zest and juice separately from the orange slices.
- Combine flour, 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper in a shallow dish. Dredge chicken in the flour, shaking off any excess. Transfer the remaining flour to a small bowl, add broth and whisk to combine.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the chicken and cook until browned, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate. Add wine to the pan and cook for 1 minute. Add the flour-broth mixture, the reserved orange zest and juice, raisins, honey, cinnamon stick and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer, return the chicken and any accumulated juices to the pan and cook, turning the chicken once or twice, until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the meat registers 165°F and the sauce has thickened, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Transfer the chicken to a serving platter. Discard the cinnamon stick. Spoon the sauce over the chicken and garnish with the reserved orange slices and almonds.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To toast slivered almonds, cook in a small dry skillet over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant and lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes.
NutritionPer serving: 420 calories; 13 g fat ( 2 g sat , 7 g mono ); 74 mg cholesterol; 37 g carbohydrates; 31 g protein; 3 g fiber; 395 mg sodium; 587 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (50% daily value), Magnesium (17% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 2 1/2 fruit, 3 1/2 lean meat, 1 fat