Baked Egg Foo Yong
Egg foo yong is a Chinese omelet filled with vegetables, bean sprouts and sometimes meat. Our vegetarian egg foo yong recipe is packed with vegetables and baked in a muffin tin for ease. Serve with a mixed green salad tossed with sesame dressing.
- 10 large eggs, beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups frozen peas, thawed
- 2 cups mung bean sprouts (7 ounces), coarsely chopped
- 1 bunch scallions, trimmed and sliced
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 cup “no-chicken” broth or vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons mirin (see Tip, below)
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon water
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat 12 (1/2-cup) nonstick muffin cups with cooking spray.
- Whisk eggs and salt in a large bowl. Stir in peas, bean sprouts, scallions and carrots. Divide the mixture among the prepared muffin cups (scant 1/2 cup each).
- Bake until the egg is cooked and beginning to brown, 28 to 32 minutes. Run a knife around the edges to loosen.
- Meanwhile, bring broth, mirin, soy sauce and white pepper to a boil in a small saucepan. Reduce heat to maintain a lively simmer and cook for 3 minutes. Combine cornstarch and water in a small bowl; whisk into the broth mixture. Cook, whisking, until thickened, about 1 minute. Remove from heat and cover to keep warm. Serve the sauce with the egg foo yong.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Equipment: Nonstick muffin tin with 12 (1/2-cup) cups
- Tip: Mirin is a sweet, low-alcohol rice wine essential in Japanese cooking. Look for it in your supermarket with the Asian or gourmet ingredients.
NutritionPer serving: 365 calories; 9 g fat ( 3 g sat , 3 g mono ); 310 mg cholesterol; 46 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 26 g protein; 16 g fiber; 633 mg sodium; 741 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (96% daily value), Folate (86% dv), Iron & Magnesium (28% dv), Vitamin C (24% dv), Potassium (22% dv), Zinc (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 2 1/2 starch, 1/2 vegetable, 1 lean meat, 1 1/2 medium-fat meat