Brown Sugar Broiled Grapefruit
Grapefruit for dessert? Why not! In this broiled grapefruit recipe, grapefruit halves are topped with spiced brown sugar, caramelized under the broiler then topped with a dollop of vanilla-infused whipped cream.
- 2 red or pink grapefruit
- 8 teaspoons packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon or cardamom
- 2 teaspoons melted butter
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons nonfat or low-fat plain Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Position oven rack about 3 inches from the heat source; preheat broiler. Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil.
- Cut each grapefruit in half, then trim a thin slice off the bottom so it sits level. With a paring knife or grapefruit knife, cut around each segment; remove any seeds. Place the grapefruit halves on the prepared baking sheet. Combine brown sugar and cinnamon (or cardamom) in a small bowl. Brush each grapefruit half with butter, then sprinkle with about 2 teaspoons of the sugar mixture.
- Broil the grapefruit, watching carefully and rotating the pan front to back once halfway through, until the tops are bubbling and golden brown, 7 to 12 minutes.
- Meanwhile, beat cream in a small bowl until stiff. Beat in yogurt, granulated sugar and vanilla just until combined. Serve each grapefruit topped with a heaping tablespoon of the vanilla cream.
NutritionPer serving: 138 calories; 5 g fat ( 3 g sat , 1 g mono ); 15 mg cholesterol; 24 g carbohydrates; 10 g added sugars; 2 g protein; 2 g fiber; 8 mg sodium; 186 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (64% daily value), Vitamin A (32% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 fruit, 1 other carbohydrate, 1 fat