Creamy Pea & Chicken Stew
This cheesy, saucy one-pot pea and chicken stew reminds us of the filling in chicken potpie. While it tastes rich and comforting, it has plenty of peas and cauliflower, too, so you get lots of veggies. Serve this creamy healthy pea and chicken stew recipe with biscuits or over brown rice.
- 1 14-ounce can reduced-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed and cut into bite-size pieces
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cups small cauliflower florets
- 1/4 cup finely chopped shallot
- 2 cups frozen peas, thawed
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup shredded Gruyère cheese
- Whisk 1/2 cup broth, flour and mustard in a small bowl.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook, stirring frequently, until brown and just cooked through, 5 to 7 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and cover with foil to keep warm.
- Add cauliflower and shallot to the pan and cook, stirring, until the vegetables begin to soften, about 2 minutes. Add peas, wine and the remaining broth (about 1 1/3 cups) and bring to a simmer. Cook, stirring often, until the cauliflower is just tender, about 5 minutes more. Whisk the reserved broth mixture again and add to the pan. Cook, stirring, until the sauce bubbles and thickens, 1 1/2 to 2 minutes. Add cheese, the cooked chicken and any accumulated juice; stir until the cheese is melted.
NutritionPer serving: 385 calories; 16 g fat ( 6 g sat , 6 g mono ); 92 mg cholesterol; 18 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 38 g protein; 5 g fiber; 638 mg sodium; 561 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (75% daily value), Vitamin A (36% dv), Calcium (32% dv), Folate (22% dv), Zinc (18% dv), Magnesium & Potassium (16% dv), Iron (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 3 lean meat, 1 high-fat meat, 1/2 fat