Iberian-Style Sausage & Chicken Ragù
This hearty sausage and chicken ragu was inspired by a fabulous stew Bruce Aidells enjoyed when he was traveling in Spain. Serve it over a heartier pasta, such as whole-wheat penne, or gnocchi. Garnish with grated sheep’s-milk cheese, such as Manchego.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 8 ounces linguisa (Portuguese-style sausage) or Spanish-style chorizo, diced
- 3 cups chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped garlic
- 2 tablespoons Pimentón de la Vera (see Note)
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, trimmed and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 3 cups white wine
- 4 cups diced seeded tomatoes or canned diced tomatoes
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 generous pinch saffron threads (see Note)
- Heat oil in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat and add sausage. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the edges begin to color, 5 to 10 minutes. Add onion and garlic. Cover and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the onion is quite soft.
- Sprinkle Pimentón de la Vera over the onion mixture; stir to coat. Cook for 1 minute. Add chicken, salt and pepper; stir to coat. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes. Add wine and increase heat to high; cook until the wine is reduced by about a third, about 8 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes, broth, parsley and saffron; reduce heat to maintain a simmer and cook, uncovered, until the chicken is tender and the sauce is beginning to thicken, 1 to 1 1/4 hours. Season with more pepper, if desired.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 5 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
- Notes: Spain is known for its superb paprika called Pimentón de la Vera, which has a smoky flavor. Look for it in well-stocked supermarkets, gourmet-food shops or online at tienda.com.
- The dried stigma from Crocus sativus, saffron adds flavor and golden color to a variety of Middle Eastern, African and European foods. Find it in the spice section of supermarkets, gourmet shops or at tienda.com. It will keep in an airtight container for several years.
Nutrition185 calories; 7 g fat ( 2 g sat , 2 g mono ); 38 mg cholesterol; 7 g carbohydrates; 16 g protein; 1 g fiber; 230 mg sodium; 312 mg potassium. Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 2 medium-fat meat
Nutrition Note: Vitamin A (20% daily value), Vitamin C (15% dv).