In this updated tuna melt recipe, we go light on the mayo and top it with fresh tomato slices and shredded sharp Cheddar. This allows us to use considerably less cheese while ensuring that there’s great cheese flavor in each gooey bite of this healthy tuna melt recipe.
- 2 5-ounce cans chunk light tuna (see Tip), drained
- 1 medium shallot, minced (2 tablespoons)
- 2 tablespoons low-fat mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon minced flat-leaf parsley
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Dash of hot sauce
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 4 slices whole-wheat bread, toasted
- 2 tomatoes, sliced
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- Preheat broiler.
- Combine tuna, shallot, mayonnaise, lemon juice, parsley, salt, hot sauce and pepper in a medium bowl. Spread 1/4 cup of the tuna mixture on each slice of toast; top with tomato slices and 2 tablespoons cheese. Place sandwiches on a baking sheet and broil until the cheese is bubbling and golden brown, 3 to 5 minutes.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: Look for sustainable seafood, such as U.S.-caught chunk light tuna, preferably certified by the Marine Stewardship Council.
NutritionPer serving: 209 calories; 7 g fat ( 4 g sat , 2 g mono ); 29 mg cholesterol; 17 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 18 g protein; 3 g fiber; 497 mg sodium; 355 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (20% daily value), Vitamin A (18% dv), Calcium (15% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 vegetable, 3 lean meat, 1/2 high-fat meat