Elise's Sesame Noodles
Whole-wheat pasta bolsters fiber and nutrients in this popular Asian noodle salad. The recipe is from Annelise Stuart of Germantown, New York.
Makes: 8 servings, about 1 1/2 cups each
- 1 pound whole-wheat spaghetti
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons rice-wine vinegar, or lime juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons crushed red pepper
- 1 bunch scallions, sliced, divided
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro, divided (optional)
- 4 cups snow peas, trimmed and sliced on the bias
- 1 medium red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup toasted sesame seeds
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cook spaghetti until just tender, 9 to 11 minutes or according to package directions. Drain; rinse under cold water.
- Meanwhile, whisk soy sauce, sesame oil, canola oil, vinegar (or lime juice), crushed red pepper, 1/4 cup scallions and 2 tablespoons cilantro (if using). Add noodles, snow peas and bell pepper; toss to coat.
- To serve, mix in sesame seeds and garnish with the remaining scallions and cilantro.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 2 up to 2 hours in advance.
NutritionPer serving: 345 calories; 12 g fat ( 2 g sat , 5 g mono ); 0 mg cholesterol; 51 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 12 g protein; 10 g fiber; 542 mg sodium; 336 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (100% daily value), Fiber (40% dv), Vitamin A (40% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 starch, 1 vegetable, 2 fat.